Could the Boiler Upgrade Scheme save you money?

Since the UK government introduced its new Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) in March 2022 to incentivise people to replace their old gas boilers with low-carbon heating options, including heat pumps, they have become more popular than ever before.

Could you save money by switching to a heat pump? It depends on your energy consumption and fuel costs.

Follow this step-by-step guide to find out if switching to heat pumps could help you reduce your fuel bills and green footprint at home.


What is a heat pump?

By extracting heat from the air outside your home or from the ground, heat pumps effectively transfer heat from one place to another.

Heat pumps can be classified into three types:

  • Air source heat pump
  • Ground source heat pumps
  • Hybrid heat pump

Heat pumps absorb heat from the air, ground, or water and provide both heating and hot water, while hybrid heat pumps can use a boiler to provide additional heat when the weather is particularly cold. In addition to requiring a small amount of electricity to operate, heat pumps can be very energy-efficient since they take much of the heat from the surrounding environment.


Why use a heat pump rather than an electric boiler?

In the UK around 17 million households use gas boilers for home heating, with most remaining properties typically using an oil boiler as they aren’t connected to the gas network.

Heat pump running costs

Heat pumps run of electricity and for every 1kWh of heat they provide, an estimated 25% comes from electricity and the remaining 75% comes from the air or ground, which makes them extremely efficient.

Heat pump efficiency

Heat pumps are much more efficient, with air source heat pumps having an efficiency rating of around 300%, while ground source heat pumps can have efficiency ratings above 400%. This means for every 1kWh of electricity used, it will generate 3 to 4 times as much more heat.

Heat pump carbon emissions

The heat pump itself burns no fossil fuels and uses only electricity, meaning it’s a zero-carbon heating appliance.


Is my home suitable for a heat pump?

Although a heat pump is indeed a low carbon heating option, does it actually make sense to install one in your home? Will they provide the level of comfort and reliability you are looking for?

There are some key considerations before deciding as to whether installing a heat pump is a viable option:

1. How well is your home insulated?

Heat pumps have a lower flow temperature than a gas boiler and work more efficiently at generating heat at a lower temperature, therefore, a home that is well insulated is required.

2. What heating system do you have?

Heat pumps work best with underfloor heating systems and not standard radiators, however, if you are prepared to replace them with low-flow temperature radiators, such as oversized radiators it can still work well.

3. What heating system are you replacing?

The upfront costs of installing a heat pump can be high, however with the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) you can receive up to £5000 cash back. There is little doubt they are better for the environment, so why not get a quote from us today and take a step towards a greener home!

4. Do you have enough space for a heat pump?

It’s no secret that a ground source heat pump needs a significant amount of space around your home to be installed, but an air source heat pump also needs some space too.

The unit needs to be fitted to an external wall and be at least one metre from the boundary of the house; our team of experts are able to visit your home and survey the space so we can inform you on exactly what your options are.


Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)

The government are providing grants to encourage property owners to install low carbon heating systems such as heat pumps, through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS). These grants can help property owners overcome the upfront cost of low carbon heating technologies. The scheme is open to domestic and small non-domestic properties in England and Wales. It runs from 2022 to 2025.

What you’ll get with the Boiler Upgrade Scheme

You can get:

  • £5,000 off the cost and installation of an air source heat pump
  • £5,000 off the cost and installation of a biomass boiler
  • £6,000 off the cost and installation of a ground source heat pump

Eligibility for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme

You may be eligible if you:

  • Live in England or Wales
  • Own your property (whether this is a home or a small non-domestic property)
  • Private landlords and second-home owners are eligible.

To find out more about the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS); or to view our quarterly report, click here.



Are you ready to start your switch, why not get in touch and see how we can help you make your home more energy efficient;

Let SwitchedOn Yorkshire help you.

01924 820005